Save Public Access TV/Open Internet Campaign
NATIONAL DAY OF OUT(R)AGE
SaveAccess.org, a national coalition of community media organizations
and individuals, is coordinating a nationwide day of protests with
actions taking place in New York City, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco on Wednesday, May 24th
FAIR is helping to organize the New York City protest. Join us. Make your voice heard.
Wednesday, May 24th
at the Verizon World Headquarters
140 West Street (at Vesey Street).
12:30-1:30pm (Pre-assemble at 12:15pm)
A/C/E/2/3 trains to Chambers St.
We are protesting:
1) Telco-driven congressional legislation (HR 5252 and S.2686) that
endangers public access centers and channels, threatens to red-line
communities, and undermines an open internet by not protecting net
We need to stop these bills in their current form -- we need more protections.
2) Telco collusion with the NSA to illegally violate the privacy of tens of millions of Americans.
We need to demand an investigation and enforcement of the law.
3) The Telco campaign to buyoff statehouse and congressional representatives around the country to push their legislation through.
We need real campaign finance reform and political transparency.
4) The Telco policy of using “astroturf” groups to push their deceptions on the public.
We need to expose these campaigns for what they are -- corporate propaganda.
5) The mergers and takeovers within in the Telco industry that have
resulted in the loss of tens of thousands of jobs.
We need to stop the AT&T - BellSouth merger until there is
accountability and thorough anti-trust reviews.